Jiayuguan city lies in the middle section of the Hexi Corridor, is located at longitude 98 ° 17 ', latitude 39 ° 47'. It took its name from the famous Jiayuguan Pass-the western terminus of the Ming Dynasty Great Wall. Covering an area of 2,935 square kilometers, Jiayuguan City is situated at the narrowest point of the western section of the Hexi Corridor bounded by the Qilian Mountains on the south, the Mazong (Horse's Mane) Mountains on the north, the Jiuquan Basin on the east, and the Gobi desert on the north. It has an arid climate. The average annual temperature is 7.7℃. Sunshine here is strong and there is a wide difference in temperature between the day and night.
Jiayuguan City is a new industrial city. It was established in 1958 in order to cater to the need of the Jiuquan Iron and Steel Company, the latest iron and steel complex in Northwest China. Jiayuguan is rich in mineral resources,such as iron,Glauber's salt, chromium, manganese,copper,gold,limestone,mirabilite,foundry clay and barite, around 21 different minerals. Among them the reserves of iron, barite, limestone, dolomite, modeling clay numbered top three in Gansu province.
Now the city lead in economic development and living standard of other cities in Gansu province.Jiayuguan is the second largeset economy in gansu province, whose GNP(gross national product) per capita and the per capita income level is the highest in the province. In 1992, it was nominated as one of the 36 star cities in china.
Jiayuguan city has a population around 300,000 and 97% of the population is Chinese Han, the rest are ethinc minorities which includes Manchu, Hui, Mongolian and Tibeten.
Highlights in and around Jiayuguan City include Jiayuguan Fort, wall paintings in tomb dating from the Wei (220-265) and Jin (265-42 periods, the First Beacon Tower, the Overhaning Great Wall, the Great Wall Museum, and Heishan (Black Mountain) rock paintings.
Jiayuguan has 3 management districts: Xiongguan District, Changcheng District, Tingtie District. There are 6 sub-district offices： Wuyi, Xinhua, Qianjin, Shengli, Jianshe, Jingtieshan, and 3 town：Yuquan Town, Wenshu Town, Xincheng Town are under the administration of Jiayuguan City. The whole area of Jiayuguan City is 2935 square kilometers with planning urban area of 80 square kilometers.
776 km away from Lanzhou, the provincial capital of Gansu, Jiayuguan has the oil city – Yumen City to its west, Qinlian Mountain to its south and Heishan Mountain to its north. It is about 650 km away from Kumul of Xinjiang and 300 km away from Qinhai City. The geographic position: of it is east longitude 98 ° 17 ', north latitude 39 ° 47 '. The altitude of the whole city is about 1412 – 2722 m. Oasis’s altitude is about 1450-1700 m. The terrain of the city is flat. It has various land types. In the middle and west of the area, there are mainly the Gobi deserts, which is also the urban area and industrial enterprises located. Oasis is mainly located in southeast and northeast part, which is agricultural district.
1. Jiayuguan Airport (JGA) is located 12km away from the city center. Passengers can easily take taxi or airport shuttle bus between the downtown city area and the airport. The airport offers flights to Lanzhou, Xian and Beijing.
2. Jiayuguan Railway Station is located at 3, Qianjin Jie, Jiayuguan City. There are trains running daily from Jiayuguan Railway Station to Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai, Xian, Lanzhou, Dunhuang, Liuyuan, Turpan and Urumqi.
3. Jiayuguan Long-distance Bus Station is located at the cross of Jingtiexi Lu and Shenglinan Lu, Jiayuguan City. It provides bus daily traveling to Lanzhou, Dunhuang, Zhangye, Jiuquan, Hami, Urumqi, Jinchang, Yumen, Yinxia, Gaotai, etc.
4. Public bus is a convenient transport for traveling around Jiayuguan City. The bus fare is usually CNY1. Bus 1 is the south bound bus which heads from the centre of town to the train station. Bus 4 can take you from the train station to the Jiayuguan Fort.
5. Most attractions in Jiayuguan City are available by taxi. The base fare of the taxi is CNY6 and CNY1.2 is charged per additional kilometer. The taxi fare can be bargain down if your travel journey is far.
Jiayuguan possesses a continental desert climate, warm and aridity with the frost-free period of 160 days. The average temperature of Jiayuguan is about 6.7C (44F) – 7.7C (18.1F) , of which the lowest temperature is -21C (-5.8F) in January and the highest is 34C (93F) in July. It has an annual precipitation of 100 millimeters, with rainfall concentrated in summer. The weather is sandstorm from March to May and strong wind from November to December.